Haley Kattner Allen, Salsa
Makes roughly 1 quart
- 5 vine tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 habanero pepper
- Olive oil
- Quarter tomatoes, crush garlic, chop half of the white onion into large pieces, and cut peppers in half. Option to remove pepper seeds and ribs for less heat.
- Place prepared ingredients evenly in a metal pan lined with aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and add a generous amount of salt and pepper. To ensure everything is well coated, spread mixture with hands or brush.
- Place in the broiler for 15-20 minutes or until the skins of the peppers and tomatoes begin to char slightly. Mix contents every 8-10 minutes by turning over contents with tongs.
- While these ingredients are cooking, prepare roughly half a bunch of cilantro by removing leaves from stems and put aside.
- Once out of the oven, allow the contents to rest and cool for 10-15 minutes
- Pour the contents of the pan into a food processor or blender (be sure to include the juices!) and begin mixing with the “pulse” setting. Add cilantro, salt, and pepper to taste with an option to add crushed red pepper for more heat.
- Once all ingredients are evenly mixed, pour the contents into your storage or serving container and enjoy!