Sydney King, Chocolate Muck Mucks
- 3oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large whole eggs
- 3/4 cup + 3 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 7 tbsp + 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 oz (7 tbsp butter)
- Additional confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Have ready four half-cup ramekins. In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate together (Tip: for this step, I often microwave these ingredients together in a large bowl for short spurts of time, making sure to not burn the mixture, and stirring often). Meanwhile, lightly beat the eggs and egg yolks. In a separate bowl, sift the confectioners’ sugar together with the flour.
- When the chocolate has melted, whisk the egg mixture into it, blending well. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are just incorporated into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the four ramekins, and refrigerate until ready to bake. (Tip: refrigeration is key to making the insides nice and gooey, so make sure to leave these babies in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking!)
- Before serving, preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until each cake has a high rounded dome and a crack that oozes a bit of chocolate.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar, and serve with whipped cream on the side.