Neeta Patel, Chana Masala / Chole Masala
- 1 cup Chickpeas, washed
- 2 cups Water for cooking
- 1 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 Green Chili Pepper, chopped (optional)
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 inch Ginger, minced
- 1.5 cups Onion, diced
- 3/4 cup Tomatoes chopped or 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi)
- Cilantro to garnish
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne or Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder (Dhaniya powder)
- 1 tbsp Chole Masala (2 black cardamom, 5 cloves, 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick, 1 tsp Coriander powder, 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp Cayenne or Red Chili powder)
- 2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 tsp Dry Mango powder (Amchur)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 leaves Bay leaf (Tej Patta)
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 stick Cinnamon (Dalchini)
- Wash and soak chickpeas in 3 cups of water overnight or at least for 4+ hours.
- Start instant pot in sauté mode. Add oil, whole spices (cumin seeds, bay leaves, black peppercorn, cinnamon), ginger, garlic and green chili.
- When the ginger and garlic turn golden brown, add onions and sauté for 3 minutes
- Add tomato and all spices except dry mango powder. Drain the chickpeas soaking water. Add chickpeas and water for cooking. Stir well.
- Change the instant pot setting to manual mode for 30 minutes with vent in sealing position.
- When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. If the pin does not drop in 20 minutes, you can release the pressure and open the instant pot.
- Use a hand masher or the back of your ladle to mash the chole a bit. Add the dried fenugreek leaves and dry mango powder. Change the instant pot setting to sauté mode and let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.